April 2004                                                                                        Vol. 10                      No. 4
Published every month by mail/website                                         Brad Methvin, Web Editor http://www.georgiasportflyers.com                                              Richard McIntosh, Editor

'Georgia Sport Flyers' club members who elect to receive the newsletter by the US Postal Service, instead of  by e-mail, must pay $10 in addition to the annual $20 membership fee.  Please refer potential members to Secretary-Treasurer:
GSFA/ Richard Logue
584 Ripplewater Dr.
Marietta Ga.  30064

                             OUR BOARD of OFFICERS    
                                                  Kim Arrowood, President        
                                                  Lonnie Sand, VP            

                                                  Richard Logue, Sec Treas.
Before Ultralights #9

All I knew about Hawaii was from movies, which didn't do it justice. Remember, this was before the tourist influx. We got off the plane and were welcomed into the airport building to the tunes (live) of Hawaiian music. You won't believe this, but the place had been set up to welcome the G.I.'s passing through on their way to battle. Beautiful girls in grass skirts were dancing around a huge, lovely container of chunks of pineapple for us. Not to forget, the girls were also placing wreaths of real flowers around our necks. Some of the guys were thinking about "lays" not leis, but the lovely wahines were well chaperoned.

We left Hawaii for the Mariana Islands but I don't remember much about the trip. I think we landed on Wake Island on the way, but all I remember about that was that it was so desolate except for the "gooney birds" (really albatross). Memory of what the Navy and Marines did there made me sad.
We finally reached Tinian, a lovely island with beautiful palm tree lined white beaches.
Other areas contained threatening looking cliffs full of caves, some containing isolated Japanese soldiers, the remains of lost and abandoned defenders. They lived off of our supplies, stolen by night. They rarely took a shot at us as we swam in pools left by the outgoing tide.

Guam was central headquarters and I think we stopped there then went to Tinian. I could look it up, along with many other details, but who cares? Everything is off the top of my head anyway. Let it be known that B-29 pilots, when I was there, were an arrogant bunch who had seen little real combat in the air compared to Europe, but had a "long" history of flying around. The B-29 was a good plane, pressurized, with a tunnel connecting front and back compartments around the bomb bays. ('Twas a good place for a short nap). No doubt the right airplane for the job at hand but not comparable with the B-17 and its' tasks. The Navy had significantly depleted the Japanese air forces and I rarely saw a Japanese airplane. There was flak of course, and losses. An example of their self-importance was that B-29 pilots were not referred to as First Pilots, but were called Airplane Commanders. (Remember that as we greet one another). Maybe that made up for all of us being billeted in tents, except for the base commander. Nurses don't like to sleep on cots. Having grown up (?) camping a lot that meant nothing to me; except for the day the typhoon passed through. Some of us lost almost everything, but kept our lives. We took refuge in the wooden mess hall, which stood up very well not counting the roof. Our only food for a couple of days was vats made up of bread mixed with canned tomatoes and stuff like that.

My crew and I flew a few runs on small by-passed islands for practice, and then got with it! Night attacks using incendiary bombs were a favorite because of the very flammable structures the Japanese lived in. I don't remember any admonition against hitting civilian areas. After such a raid a totally lighted city was a fascinating sight. We felt little sympathy because their treatment of our POW's was so abhorrent and fresh in our minds.

The hairy part of these missions was getting off the ground with the overloading with fuel and bombs, then getting back home. Staying in formation returning was not very important. It was every crew for itself as fuel conservation became critical. Thank God and the Marines for Iwo Jima, our safety valve when we didn't have enough fuel to reach Tinian. I had to land there only one time but there was no hanging around. On and off the island double time was the rule.

That's it for today.

The driving directions to Etowah Bend Gliderport:
Driving from downtown Atlanta take: Hwy I-75 North exit 290 Cartersvilles Exit  make left, follow to US 41, turn right on HWY 411, then follow signs to Rome.   After 10 miles will cross Etowah River.  Make U-turn after bridge then Etowah Bend clubhouse will be the FIRST GATE on the right after driving back over the bridge.
(for more up to date and late developing events go to the forum at
http://www.georgiasportflyers.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl )
April  Meeting
April 10, 2004 at 11:00 AM
(10:30 AM for those who are late) at

Etowah Bend Gliderport
Sun 'n Fun-April 13th through April 19th

GSFA plans:  leave April 12th, Fly to Ocala (stay the night), 13th to Sun 'n Fun, 14th Sun & Fun , 15th fly to St Augustine (stay the night), 16th fly to Jekyel Island (stay the night), 17th fly back to Cartersville.

June 12, 2004 (if rain on the 12th the Rally will be held on the 13th)
Etowah Bend Gliderport


September 10-12, at Marion County Airport, Jasper, Tennessee.  INFORMATION; T.L. Primm  (706)657-2318.  e-mail: primmees@quixnet.net


Dont forget to send me any articles (please indicate "newsletter article" in the subject line) and pictures you want me to post in the newsletter!

Go to the GSFA Forum to place sales adds.

See you at the April 10th Meeting,
Etowah Bend Gliderport.

Richard McIntosh   mcdiver@bellsouth.net

View from the cockpit through a beginners eyes

By Richard McIntosh

My next two lessons where on the same beautiful Sunday afternoon.  After a preflight inspection we got into the plane and started the engine.  When the engine was warmed up I taxied the plane to the runway and then handed over the controls to Bob.  Take-off was smooth and we headed out past the stacks before he handed the controls back to me.  At last I was going to control the plane in the air.  You might understand my excitement as I put my feet on the rudder controls and one hand on the stick.    The first thing Bob wanted me to do was to fly in a straight line within site of some power lines keeping the plane at the same altitude.  I was doing O.K. at first but Bob took back the controls and he told me to just sit there and relax.  After a minute or two he said to me just make slight control movements and don't handle the stick with a death grip like before.  I did relax and from then on controlling the plane was a lot easier.  Bob had me make a couple of right hand 360 turns.  Bob then instructed me to line up on a small grass strip he called "Doc's place".  When we came close to Etowah Bend Gliderport Bob had me line up for the runway and then lower the nose of the plane as if to land.  I realize later that we were too high to make a landing but at the time it felt like we were extremely close to the ground before Bob had me pull the nose up and away from the field.  What a thrill that was.  As we got close to landing the plane at Cartersville I piloted the plane down the approach and then Bob took over and made a nice fast landing.  After a short break we were back in the air for the second lesson of the day.  I made a few straight line flights and several right and left hand 360s.  In both lessons Bob explained how different land features could make the plane behave in different ways.  An example was a tree lined river.  It would act like a speed bump on the plane.  After we landed Bob went over what I had experienced and how I handled each situation.  Next he went over what I had read in the manual.  Bob then clued me in on what would be in the next flying lesson when I returned.  I left the hanger thinking the next lesson would not come soon enough.


Would you like to Learn to fly Ultralights or Trikes?    Here are instructors you  can call:                
Fixed Wing
            Joe Horton                      jhorto1@bellsouth.net                         770-975-0003
            Bryan Jorgensen          
bajorg@aol.com                                    770-439-5504
            Richard Logue              
loguer@earthlink.net                          770-590-3071
            Ben Methvin                  
adakb@aol.com                                     770-509-6753
            Brad Methvin                  
bradm@brashley.com                         678-461-4463
            Bob Smedberg              
bobsmedberg@bellsouth.net            404-427-5739
            Kim Arrowood                
klocator@comcast.net                        770-547-3622


           Chris Antoskow             flytrikes@aol.com                                 404-451-5656  
           Chuck Goodrum            
trikes@mindspring.com                      770-426-7294

(If you know of other instructors please e-mail mcdiver@bellsouth.net)
Minutes from the March Meeting

President Kim Arrowood started the meeting welcoming visitors and asking them to introduce themselves.  It was good to see Chuck Goodrum attend the meeting after a long and ongoing recovery from a motorcycle accident.  Richard McIntosh gave a recap of last meeting by reading the Feb. meeting minutes.  Brad Methvin explained the new web cam mounted to the side of Ben Methvin's hanger at Carterville Airport.  Brad said that any donations going to the purchase of the equipment would be welcomed.  Ben Methvin said that the Georgia Sport Flyers Assos. was voted the the #1 club of the year by USUA.  The Sun 'n Fun trip was discussed and a separate meeting will take place to nail down details for the people going on the trip.  It was mentioned that the EAA is looking closely at everyone landing at the Sun & Fun event to see who is following the 103 rules.  Also mentioned was the idea that the EAA is looking to be the one to look to as Sport Pilot/Sport Plane experts.  It is possible that this year will be low in attendance at Sun 'n Fun.  The believe here at the meeting is that the Sport Pilot/Sport Plane ruling will not be out till around May of this year.  Mark Henderson read an e-mail from a member of a CG Hawk group.  The main message was not to take any chances with your plane at Sun 'n Fun if it does not meet the 103 rules.  Ben Methvin indicated he was giving a talk after the meeting about navigation.  Ben Methvin mention that the USUA is looking for volunteers at the Sun 'n Fun booth and it would be nice if we pitch in and helped since we were picked club of the year.  Mark Henderson talked about the upcoming Air Rally and was asking for volunteers to sign up.  He indicated that there would be camping available and compitions planned.  T-shirts, hats and food will be sold and a blind auction will be held. Richard McIntosh showed a picture of his design for the Air Rally T-Shirts.  Richard Louge talked a little about club dues.  There was a mention of 'Doc's' articles and how everyone enjoyed reading about his experiences during WWII.  Mike Prosser said that he had not hear any complaints from Cartersville Airport and that he give a talk about safety at the next meeting.  Richard Louge said the FAA called and was asking him about a red ultralight that was acting erratic and flying low in our area and was wanting to know if he knew who it was.  Richard did not have any idea who it was.  We were welcomed to Charlie Ross's new grass air strip.  Discussion around a fly-in and possible having future club meeting there.  Richard McIntosh showed pictures of Eddie Spain's progress on his hanger in AL.  Club meeting adjourned for hamburger and hot dog lunch.

             Technically Speaking: Operating at VPC

We need to discuss our performance at VPC lately and how we are doing in regards to our responsibility in following the Cartersville Pattern and Procedures document, that binds us in the way that we operate and blend in  at VPC.  As you all should know, this document is incorporated in the Airport Operating Manual.  Once upon a time, we came very close to losing our privilege to operate out of VPC.  We need to continually train new VPC UL pilots about our special operating procedure at VPC and strive to improve our own  individual performance at our home field.

As a whole, I think that we are doing a very good job individually, but… I DONT THINK THAT WE ARE DOING AS WELL WHEN WE GET TOGETHER AS A GROUP. Take the Club fly-out for the camp over event at Suches last Saturday, July 20th,  02.  I had just finished a test flight of my Hummelbird and saw all the guys at Bens hanger and I went over to visit.  No, I wasnt able to attend the fly-out & camp over (bummer).  I just wanted to say hello, chit-chat and greet the guys.

A great gaggle of ULs had gathered for the trip and what a fun group we have.  After a short visit, the word was given to fireem up  and pilots scrambled for their vehicles.  I still get a boost when these things fire up and taxi out - what a beautiful sight it was!  So many different colors and designs; we certainly are privileged to be able to take part in this sport.  Wow, these things really appeal to our natural senses, such as: touch, sight, hearing and smell.  The colors were beautiful on such a nice summer morning and the engines were running - four stroke & two stroke engines roared and the smell of burning fuel and oil were everywhere.  The pilots were hands-on  and these things were going flying, and away they went!!!  The ULs taxied out for a departure on the Default Runway , runway 19.  Oh-oh…thats when the Murphy  factor kicked in.

Wouldnt ya know it; as soon as the guys were all in a line on the taxiway, guess what came up taxiing behind them?  Yea, a huge corporate twin engine jet, a twin engine recip, and a Cessna 172.  I had hoped to see some splendid UL taxiway work and chivalry (you know, yield to all other aircraft).  Well, I didnt see it.  I hope that there were radio communications that clarified the situation - aircraft to UL, but I can only describe what I saw as a bystander and how the Airport Authority or the designated FAA Safety Counselor might have perceive it.  Yea, we answer to them!  

Well, it was a parking lot out there!  All of the ULs went down to the second taxiway intersection from the end for takeoff and those that couldnt fit onto the taxiway intersection, sat there stuck on the taxiway; aircraft were in the pattern and on final, so the ULs were stuck.  Then, there was that huge corporate twin-engine jet, a twin-engine recip, and a Cessna 172, also in line behind the ULs.  What a cluster !  This is where we screwed up.

Our ULs should have used both the second and third taxiway intersections for departure and alternated takeoffs, after yielding to the GA planes.  Further, our ULs that were unable to clear the taxiway, at either of the taxiway intersections, should have taxied off of the taxiway onto the grass, to let the GA planes pass by.  Does anyone doubt that our vehicles are better suited to the grass than the heavies?  After all, we operate out of tuff & unimproved grass strips all of the time. This would have helped eliminate the taxiway congestion and allowed the GA planes to get by us and proceed to the run up area at the departure end of runway 19.  This was an excellent opportunity to demonstrate our generosity and attest to our commitment to our harmonious relationship with the Corporate and General Aviation groups. Also, this is where the ULs could have gotten another at-a-boy  and yielded to the corporate jet, twin and GA plane(s).  We didnt do this either.

We can do better.  Ask any Club officer, or myself, for a copy of the VPC Pattern and Procedure document if you dont have one.  Please review it and help us do the right things - knowledge is power and we are required to know and implement these practices at VPC.

Submitted by:
Michael Budman  Prosser
United States Ultralight Association's Booth at Sun 'n Fun

When you visit Sun 'n Fun this year, please stop by the United States Ultralight Association tent and join in the fun!  USUA staff needs a few extra hands to help meet and greet visitors.  While working at the tent, you will have a chance to talk to fellow ultralight enthusiasts and, at the same time, you will be helping the hardworking folks from headquarters.

All you need to do is talk about our sport, help people fill out applications for USUA membership, and sell the merchandise we have on hand.  So, when you stroll through Paradise City, please stop by and help us out. If you want, you may also call Headquarters (301) 695-9100 before you go to Sun 'n Fun and let us know when you're coming.  Dale, Carol and Mike are looking forward to working with you.  We should have a lot of fun this year!

Sun 'n Fun will be held April 13-19, 2004 in Lakeland Florida.  
Call Signs

Club member has new call sign. Wayne Evans is expecting to fly his new Flightstar II this month. Further, his call sign is "Red Eagle". I hear that it matches the color of his UL. Please add Wayne Evans a.k.a "Red Eagle" to your list.